A PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP
- With 1,24 million sq km, Mali is one of the largest countries in West Africa. Around 19 million people live in this landlocked country.
- Historically Mali was the epicentre of the different empires of the Niger loop (the empires of Ghana, Mali and Songhai). Its cities Djenné and Timbuctu are the oldest in West Africa.
- Since 2012, the country has been facing continuous political and military crises which have weakened the healthcare system and social relationships.
- Life expectancy at birth in Mali was 57.5(m)/ 58.4(f) years in 2016.
- The probability of dying before the age of five is 94 for 1,000 births in 2019.
- The maternal mortality ratio per 100.000 live births was 562 in 2017.